Tuesday, February 12, 2008

the rotunda


I've been to the MFA too many times to count and usually I end up wandering to the same sections looking at the same works of art. I'm perfectly content with this; I get a certain satisfaction when I look at the painting of a small child with a little person playing along with him. My MFA routine always takes me to the Medieval works of art because of my fascination with their culture and especially their music. After my fill of Medieval religious art I then make my way to the French works, and then finally my way out of the museum.

Our first visit to the MFA had taken me to a place I had never been before... the first floor with American art. I'm not sure why, but I never had the urge to see what Americans were doing in the history of the art world. The newness of our country doesn't appeal to me. I like the old, I like the broken down, and I like imagining what it must have been like hundreds of years ago. To be perfectly honest, I was not that impressed. There were a couple works by past SMFA students that I LOVED, but my overall impression was indifferent.

What really impressed me downstairs was the view of the rotunda. I had never seen the rotunda directly in the center, but alas, I looked straight up and I was drawn in by the light and symmetry of the ceiling. It was a beautiful image that really made me think about how much patience, thought, and care goes into creating such a massive piece of art. It really is awe inspiring. Music is an instant gratification art; we can bust out a song way faster than a painter can produce a painting.

The camera phone photo doesn't do justice to the scene.

No comments: