Friday, April 25, 2008



This is my avatar I created on SecondLife. Let me tell you I think this program is lame! It wants to be a game so bad, but it just isn't fun. Growing up with the development of games I know what is capable for online games. And this is so badly executed that it hurts my brain the play it. Now I know it's not supposed to be a game, but, come on, it looks like a game, has many of the same controls of a game, it just has no purpose/story/achievement/fun that are associated with any decent game. The connection to the server of SecondLife is awful (i.e. it LAGS). The graphics are terrible, if this was around 10 years ago it might be an accomplishment, but it's not, so it sucks. I found it so confusing to figure out where to go and what to do, not intuitive at all.

Secondlife does nothing new and exciting. It's just a big, over-glorified chat room. Games like World of Warcraft, EverQuest, and any other Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) have been doing this for years, but with a game attached to the "chat room" making it enjoyable for the "video game generation".

I could only tolerate SL for about half an hour so some might say I never gave it a chance. But to them I say a "game" is like an album in that it must captivate the audience within the first couple of minutes or it has lost them. And SL just lost me.

SecondLife might be cool for someone who has never seen or played a MMORPG (or any online game for that matter), but for the millions who have, it's a mediocre attempt at entertainment and networking which is headed in the direction of the Sega Dreamcast (i.e. DEAD) unless they make some major changes.

No comments: